Saturday, November 27, 2010

Crostada


This month's challenge over at Daring Baker's was an Italian crostada tart. I chose to try making mine with pastry cream so I could learn how to make both in one fell swoop.

Ingreeds for crust

I've shyed away from making pies, tarts and the like because I have a lot of trouble working with yeast doughs. This pastry dough, with its short ingredient list (as you can see from above), was much easier to work with for its smooth texture.


If anyone has noticed my inability to attempt last month's DB challenge, rest assured that it was due to drastic kitchen renovations and not a fear of tackling doughnuts. They're certainly on my list of things to over the upcoming break! It was hard living without a kitchen for over a month, but one of the many rewards for my patience are the gorgeous new counter tops, which are an excellent surface on which to mix dry and wet ingredients :)

Ingreeds for filling

I've made several fruit-filled pies before so I decided to make the whole experience a completely new one by filling my crostada with a chocolate pastry cream.


It's at times like this I wish I had a pie shield. Regardless, it was pretty good, if so extremely rich that not even my brothers could go back for seconds. If I made it again it would be for the pleasure of working with such a smooth, easy dough, with a different filling.


Thanks for reading, and dftba! :)

4 comments:

  1. Your crostata looks so luscious and gooey and the colour is astounding superb work on this challenge.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolateeeeeeeeeeeeee mmmmmmmmm
    I want a piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG this looks amazing. I'm all about some chocolate and will have to try this version on my next crostata attempt. Nice job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, that looks so good! Love the picture of the sliced crostata *drool*

    ReplyDelete