Saturday, August 7, 2010

French Macarons


It feels as if I have been admiring French macarons, with all their mini-cookie-sandwhich-adorableness, across the internet for years. It's as if succeeding at this particular dessert is a pre-requisite for any decent food blog. So, when I found almond flour while shopping with my mother at a bulk food store, I knew I had to try making them.

Rainy mornings all week prevented me from putting that almond flour to good use- you can't beat egg whites when it's humid! I was finally able to make them last night after work, but man, that wait was worth it.

I've had the impression that these suckers were very hard to make. Sure, they were rather fussy, with many bowls and steps required, but by following this recipe to the T I was able to procure wholly satisfying results :)

Ingreeds
Other than the almond flour, nothing really out of the ordinary. I had some cherry candy flavouring leftover from when I pulled taffy awhile ago, but it wasn't necessary.

I separated my eggs while they were still cool, then left the whites become room temperature while I prepared everything else. This is because colder eggs separate more neatly, but warm egg whites yield more volume.

Ouu, voluminous.
I made a simple syrup and added it to the beaten whites. Such a lovely gloss! After folding in the dry ingredients, I separated the batter in half to make some pink-tinted cherry macarons, and some golden-tinted vanilla macarons.

Fresh from the oven, arranged by size (because I fail at uniformity haha). Don't they have the cutest little feet? Not perfect, but pretty darn good for a first try, I'd say.

Some assembly required

Check the production line on these cuties. I filled them with a reduced raspberry puree (jam turned out to be too "slippery") and a basic white chocolate ganache.

I'd say that this first attempt was quite the success, especially since my coworkers thought they were yummy too :)

Thanks for reading, have a good one, and dftba!

No comments:

Post a Comment